Our attorneys provides comprehensive family law representation. King Laird P.C., has the experience and knowledge to help guide you through the process of one of the most rewarding experiences most of us have — becoming a parent.
There are many types of adoptions:
- Private adoptions
- Agency adoptions (state agencies and private agencies)
- Interstate adoptions
- Same sex adoptions
- Stepparent adoptions
- Contested adoptions
- Adult adoptions
- International adoptions
The most common form of adoption is stepparent adoption. In this situation, the stepparent assumes financial and legal responsibility for his/her spouse’s child(ren). The stepparent also obtains custody rights during this process. The non-custodial parent is released from all parenting responsibilities including the duty to pay child support.
In general, stepparent adoptions are easier than other types of adoption but there are issues that can complicate matters, including:
- When the natural parent cannot be found
- When the natural parent refuses to consent
- When the stepparent has a criminal or other financial history that calls into question whether an adoption would be appropriate
- When members of the natural parent’s family intervene in an attempt to block or stop the adoption from taking place
For more information on adoption please contact our offices to schedule an appointment.